Thursday 15 May 2014

Training log: 07.04 - 05.05 - 2 Oceans and too little running



A mad mad month was April with the opening of the new TAGG CrossFit premises, family visiting and a thesis occupying some distant part of the back of my mind meant that although I had a great time, I had little chance to run (and evidently little chance to update my log blog).

Week 1

Monday - Run - Quarter Chappies

A pleasant little evening trot up with Big Dogg to one of the lookout points on Chappies with Hout Bay delivering some exceptional sunset photo opportunities.

6.0km
0:39:11

Tuesday - Run - Morning jog and time trial

I wanted to gauge my fitness levels before 2 Oceans so I did a decent warmup around Sea Point and then hit the 5km Time Trial. I came in at just over 21 minutes in the time trial which is not far off my PB so I figured I was doing alright (I was wrong).

10.7km
0:56:01

Friday - Run - Up Chappies with the lads


Chapman's Peak - Beasted
I had a day's leave so I took Big Dogg and my brother-in-law (let's call him Apache) up to the top of Chappies. The way down felt really quick and I think it was due to the company. This would prove detrimental to me at 2 Oceans where once again I struggled down this deceptively long downhill. Little did I know at the time, this would be the beginning of my taper for the big race

12.5km
1:23:35

Week Total
29.2km
2:58:47

Week 2

Life completely got in the way and I didn't get a chance to do any warm-up runs pre 2 Oceans which I think was a huge mistake. I struggled in the race, more details in my race report.

Week Total
56.0km
5:32:55

Week 3 and 4

Big rest weeks as I recovered from 2 Oceans and dealt with a few little niggles I picked up due to being incredibly underprepared. The only run I managed was a brief sprint through Sea Point as I raced the team from the old TAGG to the new TAGG. They were in a car loaded with equipment and started 6 minutes after me. They caught me with about 500 metres to go, it was tight and I am demanding a rematch.

Week Total
4.5km
0:18:00 (estimated)

So now 2 Oceans is done and I get to focus on trail running again. I have created a more structured and less pressurized training program for myself consisting of the following each week:

2 Medium distance runs very slow
1 Long trail run
1 Either interval or hill session
1 Pilates class
2 CrossFit classes

The main things I learnt in 2 Oceans is that my weak core is seriously holding me back (hence Pilates) and I need to focus on better quality training as opposed to simply going for mileage. Also I am not good at following a rigid schedule but I do need to incorporate some form of routine into my training as if it is too haphazard I tend to miss important sessions especially hills and intervals. The above schedule is flexible and includes plenty rest days which helps me fit it into my work requirements. The way I see it, it is 7 out of a total of 14 possible sessions in a week (2 a day). So I am trying to do double days on Tuesdays and Thursdays which means I only need to fit the other 3 in around that.

In addition to revitalising my training routine, I am working on my diet. In the build-up to 2 Oceans I was so focussed on taking in as many Carbs as possible that I was eating (and drinking) really bad quality carbs. So I set myself a challenge of going Vegan for the month of May. It is pretty extreme but I was keen to try it mainly to see what effects this sort of diet has on my energy levels. I will include a full detailed review of my #veganMay in June.

So with a new approach to training and eating, I am really excited about the Trail season and have entered some really cool races including Fishermans, Hout Bay Trail Challenge and of course Rhodes. It is time to embrace the winter!






No comments:

Post a Comment