Thursday 17 October 2013

Training log - 30.09 - 13.10: High mileage and half marathons

A bit of a mixed bag fortnight that saw some good surprises. The first week I did some consistent short runs which ended up with a decent higher mileage week and the second week busy-ness saw me taper nicely for a good gun run.

30.09 - 06.09

Monday - Run - Barefoot and time trial

I continued my training program for the barefoot running trial I am currently doing with SA Institute of Sports Science. I hit the promenade so that I could run on the grass for 3 x 4min runs with 2min walk breaks in between. I am finding these barefoot sessions are an excellent warm-up to my main run as it is a good muscle activation exercise. A bit out of ideas on what to do next, I hit the 5km time trial route on the promenade and was quite happy with a 21:36 time.

7.5km
0 climb
38 min

Tuesday - Run - Newlands Forest

My mate Slothmobile was down from Durban and I have been trying to get him started on trail running for a while so I took him on my favourite loop at Newlands Forest. We took a slow casual jog and the regular stops on a perfect evening reminded me to focus less on training goals and more on training scenery.

8km
575m climb
1h15 min +-

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Run - Sea Point to Camps Bay

Again with Slothmobile and now I was out to convince him to move to Cape Town so I took him on one of my favourite road runs from Sea Point to Camps Bay and back. Again a beautiful evening and nice chilled run.

7.8km
0m climb
1h00 +-

Friday - Run - Barefoot and time trial

I rocked up for a CrossFit class only to find it booked up so I headed down to the promenade to do the same workout from Monday. My barefoot sesh was a bit longer with 3 x 5min runs with 2 min walk breaks. For the time trial I was wearing my CrossFit shoes (New Balance MT110) and although they are meant for minimalist running I don't really run in them as I am still transitioning. Setting out I really focussed on correct barefoot running technique but I was feeling tired so although I went as fast as I could I knew I could go quicker. Checking my watch at the end I was shocked to see I was almost a minute under my Monday time (when I ran in shod shoes) and my PB 5km clocked in at 20m51. Stoked with that and more convinced that minimalist running is the way to go.

8.5km
0m climb
40m

Saturday - Run - LSD to Hout Bay and back

I haven't been out for a long road run in a while and with Matroosberg coming up I was feeling a bit stressed about what is going to happen after the 30km point. So I packed my backpack and headed out for a nice slow jog from Sea Point to Hout Bay and back (pretty much the Bay2Bay route). 1 minute into the run and terror hit as my iPod battery went flat so Mumford and Sons had to remain mum and I would be running with only my thoughts. A nice chilled flat run with the only real hill being Suikerbossie on the way back. I felt really comfortable running up it and remembering Bay2Bay earlier on in the year, I realised how much more difficult trail running must be as I really struggled on this hill before shifting my running from road to trail. A great morning out, these types of mornings are what running training should be about.

30km
874m climb
2h49min

Sunday - Rest

Week run total
Mileage - 61.8km
Metres gained - 1,449m
Time - 6h22



07.09 - 13.10

I was happy with my last week, I managed to rack up some decent low stress mileage and ran 5 out of 7 days which will be the type of training program I will follow for 2 Oceans. I ran consistently and felt strong. This week I decided to take it a bit easier as I secured a late entry for Gun Run so it was time to rest and try push for a PB.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Barefoot run

2 x 8min runs with a 3min walk break. I started really feeling the technique click into place here of the more prose style of running but realised I have a lot more work to do on strengthening my feet before I can do long distances like this.

3.5km
0m climb
19 min

Wednesday - Barefoot run

Same as yesterday but a bit less distance covered as I ran barefoot on the road causing some blisters.

3.2km
0m climb
19 min

Thursday - Rest


Friday - Rest

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Gun Run

What I fail to mention in those 3 preceding rest days is that 3 of them involved social events which meant my beer consumption was peaking. Not ideal for pre-race hydration but I still had a great race. Race report coming up.

Week run total
Mileage - 27.7km
Metres gained - ??
Time - 2h15

No comments:

Post a Comment